Recruiting a Trustee
Building a strong Board is essential nowadays for any organisation. Below we will outline some useful tips for successful Trustee recruitment in the Non-Profit sector, whether it be a local charity, or a large international NGO.
Firstly, you need to ascertain what budget is available to support the process which might include using a recruitment agency. And of course any associated advertising costs.
Decide on timeframes – a closing date for applications and date(s) for interviews.
The Board should decide who is going to be involved and what their role will be;
Who will be on the interview panel.
Will this be a face to face meeting, or will this be over Skype or Zoom, and how many stages will there be.
Will the interview process involve the Chair and/or CEO?
It is also worth performing a skills audit of your board to determine gaps in the skills and experience.
Does your current Board have a diverse mix of backgrounds? You can then decide collectively as a Board what you are looking for in potential candidates, including skills and experience.
Create a Trustee recruitment pack for candidates including the following:
- A Job Description including a summary of the role and an overview of the charity.
- The mission, vision and strategic direction of the organisation.
- A list of any specific skills and experience you are looking for (think about what is essential and what is desirable).
- Details of how to apply for the vacancy and who to contact.
- Be clear about the process for responding to all applications and any queries from potential applicants.
- Ensure you are aware of any restrictions on who can and cannot be a Trustee, prior to advertising any Board positions – this information should be in your constitution.
If you would like further information about our Trustee & Board Level Recruitment services and how we can help please get in touch.